Ham Radio: my geeky indulgence

hamvacationSometimes a girl just needs to get away from it all. And I enjoy a nice morning of making contacts on ham radio when the propagation is good.

Like radio, ham radio has different frequencies on which you can talk to other ham radio operators. But you can direct where your radio signal goes. You can bounce it off of the atmosphere and talk to people all over the world. You can direct it towards satellites and the international space station. Working satellites is one of my favorite things to do because you have to trace the path of the satellite as it orbits the earth with your antenna.

I recently returned from a ham vacation operating from rare location VP5 in Turks and Caicos.

By diana 16

15 Comments

1. Posted April 4, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

where does one acquire a ham radio?

2. Mike
    Posted April 5, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

hello, i heard you on the 20 meter band today (apr 5) with the Russian station. good contact.
    see ya on the bands, Mike,KC0UWF,

3. Posted April 13, 2009 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Oooh look at you with the beautiful beach! So cute!

4. Abbey
    Posted April 29, 2009 at 3:54 am | Permalink

OMG.. you totally have to come to Dayton Ohio for the largest HamFest.. the HamVention!

Lemme know if you are coming!

• Posted April 30, 2009 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Hi Abbey,
      I am indeed going to Hamvention. We bought tickets last week! I’m so excited.

5. mike Lavin
    Posted April 29, 2009 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Nice beach, what type of antenna were you using?
    Mike
    N2NET

• Posted April 30, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Mike,
      We were using a buddistick vertical antenna. We have a buddipole too and have been going to a lot of parks with it operating “picnic table portable”.

6. Posted May 9, 2009 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Wow! I’m into Ham radio and fashion too. I am not so good with math, but otherwise it seems like we’d get along!

KE7OIO

7. Posted May 20, 2009 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Ms. Eng,

From the pictures on Makezine.com it looks like you had a total blast! I missed Hamvention this year but I plan on checking it out next!

Are you doing anything for Field Day?

WB2IFS/3

• Posted May 20, 2009 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Hi WB2IFS,
      It was a lot of fun. Since, I am a new ham, being able to see all of the different things in person really helped me learn a lot. I might get into QRP soon.

No plans yet for Field Day.

8. Posted September 24, 2009 at 12:28 am | Permalink

cool place and good weather

73 de 9w2pju

9. Jonathan KD5QLM
    Posted April 2, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

What do you like more when doing portable OP.. The End Fed Zepp as in your YouTube video or the Buddiestick and then last the Buddiepole?

I have been trying to pick what to use on a upcoming trip to Canada..

Thanks
    -JD

• Posted April 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Hi JD,
      The EFHW (end fed half wavelength) antennas are more portable but they only work on one band. So you may wish to bring multiple wires. Te Buddipole/Buddistick work on multiple bands but are a lot less portable. As a small person I usually tend to go for the lighter EFHW antenna if I am hiking.

10. ken ac4rd
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Searched google images for ham radio and found your VP5 operation photo–looks like a great time! And it’s nice to see that a FEW of us ham ops aren’t old men. 😉 73 de AC4RD!
    \

One Trackback

1. […] in satellite ops (not surprising given that she is a resident of NYC) and has already been on a DXpedition. Fashion Nerd at Dayton […]